Pension News & guides

Specialist advisors of UK pension transfer to USA

  • What are your
    UK expat pension options?

    Download our FREE UK pension guide.

Schedule a free (no obligation) 30 minute consultation call at a time that suits you.

Book a FREE Consultation

Can I transfer from a NEST pension?

You can transfer money out of your NEST at any time, provided it is to another registered pension scheme.

It’s important to note that you must have stopped making contributions into your NEST retirement pot, before you can transfer your money to other pension schemes.

What other pension schemes could I transfer to?
As long as the pension scheme is recognised by HMRC, there are many pension schemes you can transfer a NEST pension into. These include –

* Executive pension plan
* Group personal pension
* Master trust pension (workplace pensions)
* SIPP (Self Invested Personal Pension)
* SSAS (Small Self Administered Schemes)
* Stakeholder pension

Can I transfer into an overseas scheme?
You can transfer the money from your NEST pot into an overseas pension scheme, as long as it’s a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS).

Be aware that there may be an overseas transfer charge to pay if you’re transferring your money out to an overseas pension scheme.

How do I transfer to another provider?
Firstly, you can only transfer out of NEST once you have stopped contributing. And you can only transfer to a pension scheme recognised by HMRC.

Apart from that, all you have to do is notify your pension provider that you wish to transfer your pension. It can take up to four weeks and they may apply early exit fees.

Can I transfer my pension into Nest?
You can transfer other pensions into NEST at any time, but only certain types of pensions can be transferred. It must be from a UK based pension scheme that is registered with HMRC. Allowable schemes include:

* A defined contribution scheme – This is a scheme whereby you make regular contributions to build up a pot for your retirement over a period of time. The final amount depends on the money you have contributed, tax relief from HMRC and any growth in investments.
* A pension credit transfer – This could be part of an ex-spouse or civil partners pension that has been awarded to you by a court order after a divorce or end of a civil partnership.
* An early leaver cash transfer – If you’ve been paying into a workplace pension scheme for more than three months, but less than three years, you should be able to transfer the balance to NEST, as long as the value is more that £50.

Should I transfer my pension?
There are a number of things to consider before you transfer your pension into NEST.

The first is if your current pension provider offers certain guarantees or protections, these will be lost when you transfer your funds into NEST.

The value of a NEST retirement won’t necessarily increase and could, depending on market factors and the economy, decrease in value.

Can I transfer my NHS pension?
It’s possible, but unless the pot is very low, reputable financial advisors would advise against it.

However, if you are no longer employed by the National Health Serice (NHS), or the scheme, you may be able to transfer your pension rights to a new pension provider, such as NEST. Remember, you can only transfer to a pension scheme or arrangement that is registered with HMRC and one that is able to accept a transfer payment from the NHS Pension Scheme.

Are there pension transfer fees?

Your existing pension provider may charge a penalty if you go ahead with the transfer to NEST. This would have the effect of reducing the amount that’s transferred to your NEST pot.

This charge may take the form of an exit penalty or a fund charge called a market value adjustment or market value reduction. Either way, we recommend that you ask your current pension provider what, if any, charges might apply.

If you live in the USA we can give advice by phone, email or Skype.

Contact us today for more information.

Schedule a free (no obligation) 30 minute consultation call at a time that suits you.

Book a FREE Consultation